WALTER B. MELVIN ARCHITECTS, LLC has provided expert architectural restoration services since 1975. A leader in the field of historic preservation, we employ traditional building methods as well as many new restoration techniques we have developed over the years to become industry standards. We have a deep appreciation for the detail and craftsmanship of historic buildings, a strong commitment to the preservation of historic material, and the high professional standards required to achieve clearly specified, first-class work.
With more than 45 years of experience, WBMA’s portfolio includes the successful restoration of hundreds of structures in the New York City area, including some of the city’s most iconic landmarks. Our areas of expertise include:
- Masonry repair, restoration and reconstruction (stone, terra cotta, brick, concrete)
- Cast iron repair and refabrication
- Window and door restoration and replacement (wood, metal, stained glass)
- Roofing and terrace replacement (membrane, sheet metal, slate shingle, terra cotta tile)
- Interior finish restoration and replication
Specific services offered include:
- Building Surveys, Existing Conditions Reports and Master Plans
- Facade Inspection Safety Program (FISP, formerly known as Local Law 11) Reports
- Construction Documents (Drawings, Specifications) and Administration
- Leak Investigations
- Professional Consultation, Expert Opinions and Peer Reviews
- Landmarks Preservation Commission Presentations
Working with both the public and private sectors, WBMA’s clients include institutions, government agencies, businesses, and residents. Our project teams work closely with our clients, emphasizing open communication and establishing direct rapport. We look beyond the architectural and construction concerns for each project, considering financial planning equally important. Well-preserved buildings must be both financially and structurally sound.